Consider using the moving checklist below to make your move a smooth transition.
6-8 Weeks Before Move:
- Research moving companies and obtain at least three estimates in writing.
- Create a checklist of businesses and services you will need to contact to change your address—don’t forget to include your online accounts as well.
4 – 6 Weeks Before Move:
- Start the moving process by doing a first round of donations of unnecessary items to a local charity of your choice.
- Consider having a garage sale and using the extra cash for your moving expenses.
- Begin packing seasonal items and rarely used objects, storing them in a vacant room or basement.
- If you have children, consider contacting their local and future schools to transfer all needed paperwork.
4 – 2 Weeks Before Move:
- Purchase moving supplies such as boxes, packing tape, labels, and box cutters. Don’t forget to buy mattress bags and packing bubble wrap for your dishes and other fragile items.
- Device a box-labeling system and code boxes accordingly. Remember to have a master list of your inventory.
- Check-in with your moving company of choice and double check that your insurance is up-to-date to cover your valuables.
2 – 1 Weeks before Move:
- Transfer all home subscriptions to your new home.
- Gather important paperwork, jewelry, and family heirlooms and setup a plan to safely transport them to your new home.
- Create an inventory list of high-ticket items and photograph them before your moving day.
- Turn off utilities one day after your move-out date, and set up utilities in your new home one-day before your move-in date.
- Pack a suitcase with a week’s worth of clothes.
- Check to see if you accumulated any additional donation items and take them to your charity of choice.
- Once you completely move out, thoroughly deep-clean your home and do a final walk through of the property.
- Take a sigh of relief and enjoy the beginning of a new chapter in your new home!